August 10, 2011
Sprint and McAfee Offer Customers Mobile Security Applications to Help Protect Information on Their Wireless Devices
McAfee Mobile Security Technology Provides Malware Protection, Device Recovery and Backup
Application Readily Available to Customers in Sprint Zone
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. & SANTA CLARA, Calif. (BUSINESS WIRE), August 10, 2011 - Sprint (NYSE: S) and McAfee announced today that they are providing Sprint customers easy access to McAfee® Mobile Security and McAfee® Family Protection Android™ Edition software, which will better help them protect the important information stored on their mobile devices.
As the use of smartphones and tablets continues to grow, Sprint is actively working with developers, manufacturers and leaders in the industry to provide solutions that can help protect customers’ information and their devices. McAfee Mobile Security can help Sprint customers protect the important information stored on these devices from loss, theft and viruses. In addition, McAfee Family Protection Android Edition provides parents an application that will allow them to filter inappropriate websites on their child’s mobile device.
Sprint customers using select Android-powered devices can easily download the McAfee Mobile Security and McAfee Family Protection Android Edition applications from the Android Market™ by clicking on McAfee within Sprint Zone or the Sprint Tab in the Android Market. Customers can find Sprint Zone as an icon on their device1.
The McAfee Mobile Security software is available as a seven-day trial and can be purchased as a 12-month subscription for $29.99. The McAfee Family Protection Android Edition is available as a 30-day trial and can be purchased as a 12-month subscription for $19.99.
“Sprint takes mobile security very seriously, and we are working to provide tools for our customers that can help protect their devices from viruses and give them the ability to lock or wipe data from their device remotely if it becomes lost or stolen,” said Fared Adib, senior vice president-Product, Sprint. “McAfee is recognized as a leader in this space, and we are pleased to be working with them and to feature the McAfee Mobile Security software in Sprint Zone.”
McAfee Mobile Security – provides a comprehensive mobile security solution for smartphones and tablets. With McAfee Mobile Security, consumers can now access the following features and functionality in a single download:
- Locate and track a lost or stolen mobile device via the McAfee online Web portal, even if the SIM card is replaced
- Back up important contacts, photos and videos from a mobile device or remotely via the Web
- Access personal data online from virtually anywhere. Restore data, even to a new device
- Remotely lock the mobile device to protect against misuse, such as excessive phone charges
- Remotely wipe personal data from a lost or stolen device via the McAfee Web portal, mobile Web portal or via a SMS message from a buddy device
- Set an audible alarm to help find the device, disrupt a thief, and/or set a pop-up notification with instructions for returning the device
- 24/7 real-time anti-malware protection against viruses, worms and spyware, Trojan horses and battery-sapping malware
- Safely browse and search the Web with protection from malicious websites, phishing, identity theft and credit card fraud
McAfee Family Protection Android Edition – helps protect children of all ages from exposure to inappropriate website content while enabling them to freely explore their online interests. Features include:
- Web filtering for Internet, empowering parents to choose categories such as drugs, pornography and weapons, to filter or add specific websites to access or block
- Works with the default browser on the mobile device and is designed to block other browsers from running and bypassing the technology
- An uninstall protection feature helps to prevent kids from deleting the application on their mobile device
“By providing McAfee Mobile Security, Sprint can provide security safeguards for their customers in the event of loss or theft, protection against the growing threat of viruses and spyware targeting mobile devices and protection from Web-based threats,” said Todd Gebhart, co-president, McAfee. “With McAfee Family Protection Android Edition, parents can add a layer of protection for their children who are using their smartphones to explore the Web.”
McAfee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), is the world's largest dedicated security technology company. McAfee delivers proactive and proven solutions and services that help secure systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world, allowing users to safely connect to the Internet, browse and shop the Web more securely. Backed by its unrivaled Global Threat Intelligence, McAfee creates innovative products that empower home users, businesses, the public sector and service providers by enabling them to prove compliance with regulations, protect data, prevent disruptions, identify vulnerabilities, and continuously monitor and improve their security. McAfee is relentlessly focused on constantly finding new ways to keep its customers safe. http://www.mcafee.com
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 52 million customers at the end of 2Q 2011 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 6 in its 2010 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
1 The Sprint Zone application currently is not available on the Nexus S 4G or Samsung Moment devices. The McAfee Mobile Security and McAfee Family Protection applications can be downloaded from the Android Market.