December 13, 2013
Oops Proof Tested – Check out the Most Durable Devices Sprint has to Offer
By Danielle Babbington
Sprint and its prepaid brands Boost and Virgin Mobile understand life happens and so do accidents. Let’s be honest how many of us have dropped our device in a puddle of water, on the sidewalk when fumbling to take it out of our pocket or worse the toilet (I am guilty of this one!). The phone is then cracked or worse on its way to cell phone heaven. Not to fear – Sprint has three devices, depending on your wireless needs, that are up for the Oops Proof Test.
Built to Military Standard 810G, Torque from Sprint is made to withstand water, dust, shock, vibration, solar radiation, humidity, and extreme temperatures, along with IP67 standards for dust and water immersion. Torque has been tested to hold up against life’s extremes – including some most people will never see – to help ensure it will be there when you need it, including:
- Waterproof whether sprayed or immersed in up to one meter of
water for up to 30 minutes, Torque can handle all the rain, sprinklers, hoses, spit, drool, drinks, sinks or toilet water life can throw at it – that's more than can be said of the around 82 million handsets in the U.S. that have already been destroyed by liquid.1
- Extreme Temperatures of -22 degrees to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (-30 degrees to 60 degrees Celsius) for a non-operating unit for two hours and -4 degrees to 122 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 degrees to 50 degrees Celsius) for an operating unit for three hours – from backcountry snowboard trips to hikes in Death Valley, don’t sweat it.
- Dropped 26 times from 4 feet high – or, the average week with kids at the playground.
- Heavy dust for six hours – going off the grid while off-roading and camping will never be an issue.
- Horizontal, vertical and sideways vibrations for one hour – that mountain bike ride or roller coaster will be no match for Torque.
Kyocera Hydro Edge
Not only is Hydro Edge waterproof, can be submerged in up to 3.28 feet of water for up to 30 minutes, the 3G smartphone is available from Sprint and Boost Mobile giving customers the choice in how they pay for their devices and their monthly service plans.
In addition to being waterproof, Kyocera Hydro Edge boasts the following features:
- Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean
- 1GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon® processor
- Smart Sonic Receiver technology – improves audio in noisy environments
- 4-inch capacitive, impact-resistant touchscreen display
- 5-megapixel camera with LED flash and video camera
Virgin Mobile Reef
Reef™ priced at $149.99 is Virgin Mobile’s first Waterproof device. Customers can now talk or text near the sink, tub or even poolside with no worries! Virgin Mobile’s first certified IPX7 waterproof device is protected for up to 30 minutes, in up to 3
feet of water. This Android 4.1, Jellybean, device is priced just right for the smart, budget conscious consumer.
Additional features include:
- 1 GHz Processor
- 5-megapixel w/Flash / 1-megapixel Front-Facing
- 720P Video Recording
- 4-inch IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
1More than 82.5 million U.S. handsets have been destroyed by water or moisture: January 2012 by TNS Global Research
Danielle Babbington is the public relations manager for the Boost Mobile brand at Sprint. Based in sunny southern Calif., she oversees all public relations programs for the Boost brand including product and service launches, sponsorships, events, advertising, brand initiatives and more. Danielle can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.