Access to thousands of apps can help Sprint customers get active, get organized and more in 2011
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), December 21, 2010 - With 2011 just around the corner, New Year’s resolutions will soon be on everyone’s minds. Sprint (NYSE:S) customers can start the year on a positive note and get help accomplishing their goals with Sprint phones’ industry-leading features and access to thousands of useful applications.
“No matter what your New Year’s resolution, you can download an app on your Sprint phone that helps you achieve it,” said David Owens, vice president-Consumer Marketing at Sprint. “From Android and BlackBerry smartphones to consumer-friendly feature phones, Sprint phones offer access to a range of applications that make it easy for our customers to meet their goals, whether they want to be more active or be more on top of their finances.”
Ring in the New Year with one of these innovative phones from Sprint:
- HTC EVO™ 4G1 – Boost your speed in 2011 with Sprint’s award-winning HTC EVO™ 4G. HTC EVO 4G boasts two cameras – an 8 MP auto-focus camera with HD-capable video camcorder and a forward-facing 1.3 MP camera – built-in mobile hotspot functionality, simultaneous voice and data capability in 4G and Wi-Fi areas, and access to more than 100,000 apps. It is available for $199.99 with a new two-year service agreement on select plans with a $10 Premium Data add-on or eligible upgrade and after a $100 mail-in rebate (excludes taxes).
- LG Optimus S™ – Personalize the new you with a Sprint ID device, which allows users to quickly download “ID packs” that deliver a predefined experience, including applications, widgets, ringtones and wallpapers, all at once. Packs are designed to meet customers’ unique interests; whether they are sports fans, fitness fanatics, auto enthusiasts, etc., there’s a pack perfect for them, including the new MTV Music ID pack. LG Optimus S features Android™ 2.2 and is available in Charcoal and Purple for $49.99 with a new two-year service agreement on an Everything Data plan or eligible upgrade and after a $100 mail-in rebate (excludes taxes).
- Samsung Restore™ – Green your lifestyle with the latest eco-friendly device from Sprint – Samsung Restore. Samsung Restore is a full-feature messaging whiz, offering a slide-out, full QWERTY keyboard with optical joystick, 2.0 MP camera and camcorder, MP3 player with microSD card slot (supports up to 32GB), Stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology, Sprint Family Locator, Sprint Music, Sprint Navigation and Sprint TV®. Access downloadable apps through GetJar. This streamlined device is available for FREE at www.sprint.com with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade (excludes taxes).
For customers looking for smartphones with the flexibility of no-contract, try a device from Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile USA, two of Sprint’s prepaid brands that offer wireless phones and service with no long-term commitment:
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 smartphone from Boost Mobile, available with Boost Mobile’s $60 BlackBerry Monthly Unlimited with Shrinkage plan, delivers rich mobile entertainment with its integrated media player and broad catalog of applications through BlackBerry App World™. BlackBerry Curve 8530 is priced at $199.99.
- Samsung Intercept™ from Virgin Mobile USA gives users access to Android Market™ and the ability sign up for one of Virgin Mobile’s unlimited Beyond Talk™ plans, which include e-mail, data, Web along with 300, 1,200 or unlimited voice as low as $25 per month – perfect for the person always on the go. Samsung Intercept is specially priced at $174.99 for a limited time on www.virginmobileusa.com.
On all of these great phones, useful applications are easy to download and can help make success attainable for five common New Year’s resolutions: managing your money, getting fit, getting organized, staying in touch and taking care of the planet.
Manage Your Money
- Mint.com Personal Finance: An easy way to manage money on the go, this app lets users see all their accounts in one place, check budgets and see where they spend – all for free. Available on Android phones.
- Sprint Mobile Wallet: This app gives users an easy, secure way to buy physical and digital products using their Sprint phone. Customers use a universal PIN to make purchases easily using their Visa, MasterCard and Amazon Payments accounts at participating online merchants, right on their phone. Sprint Mobile Wallet is available to download through Sprint Zone on most Sprint phones.
Whether hitting the gym or pounding the pavement, Sprint customers can fulfill their resolution to get active and get in shape with these apps:
- CardioTrainer: Whether they choose to break a sweat indoors or outdoors, users can take advantage of this app to track walking, running, biking and other activities. It features a pedometer, calorie counter, music player, schedule and reminders, and more. Users can also set up and follow a two-month New Year’s fitness resolution, and even stake some money to be donated to charity if they don’t meet their goal. Available for Android phones.
- Instant Heart Rate: By placing their finger gently over the camera lens and holding it steady for 10 seconds, users can see their heart rate and keep track of how well that workout is working no matter where they are. Available on Android phones.
- Health and Fitness Sprint ID Pack: Healthy living on the go is made easier with the Health & Fitness ID Pack available exclusively on Sprint ID phones, LG Optimus S™, Sanyo Zio™ and Samsung Transform™. With just one click, the phone will be loaded with apps including Diet Watcher Cookbook (search for millions of recipes, lists nutritional facts); Fast Food Calorie Counter; Cardio Trainer; Yoga Trainer Lite; and Exercise TV (everyday, you’ll get a new free, full length workout video). Help your mind stay fit as well with games such as Sudoku and Brain Strain 2 Lite.
Save time and keep organized on the go with Sprint phones such as HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Epic 4G and BlackBerry Style. These phones can regularly sync contacts, calendar and e-mail with the user’s business and personal accounts. Downloadable apps for Sprint phones provide additional organization features:
- Astrid Task/Todo List: This to-do list/task manager is designed to help users get stuff done. It features reminders, tags, sync, a widget and more. Available for Android and BlackBerry devices.
- Springpad: Users can save the things they want to remember with this app, including notes, tasks, lists, wines and recipes. Users can scan barcodes, take photos, and search nearby places. The app automatically organizes and enhances what users save with useful links and relevant news and offers and then syncs with springpadit.com for universal access. Available for Android and BlackBerry smartphones and through GetJar for basic phones.
Keep in Touch
These days there are more ways than ever for Sprint customers to keep in touch with loved ones, no matter how much distance separates them. Of course, there’s text messaging, Picture Mail and social networking on Sprint phones. For anyone who’s already a pro at those, there’s now a whole new option: video chat.
- Fring: This app allows free two-way video calling over 3G, 4G and WiFi. Available for HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Epic 4G.
- Qik: Users can see and hear each other with two-way live video chats over 3G, 4G and WiFi, plus record and share videos with friends, family and social networks with this app. All videos are stored to the users’ account at qik.com. Available for HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Epic 4G.
- Socially Connected Sprint ID Pack: For those who prefer a whole package of apps to help them keep in touch with one click, Sprint offers a Socially Connected ID pack on Sprint ID devices. Apps include Facebook, Bump, Wertago, Yelp, Gowalla and Twitter apps, creating the ultimate starting point for their own, multitasking, socially connected mobile package.
For those whose New Year’s plans include being a better steward of the environment, Sprint makes it easy and affordable to “go green”:
- Eco-Friendly Mobile Devices: Through Jan. 8, 2011, each of Sprint’s three eco-friendly mobile devices – Samsung Reclaim™, LG Remarq™ and Samsung Restore™ – is available for free online (with an eligible upgrade or new-line activation and two-year agreement). All are made of at least 80% recyclable materials and meet the Sprint Device Eco Criteria. Customers can go to www.sprint.com for details.
- Wireless Recycling: When you purchase or upgrade to a new device, remember to responsibly recycle old/unused wireless devices through a trusted take-back program, such as Sprint Buyback or Sprint Project ConnectSM. Sprint Buyback rewards customers who bring in up to five eligible wireless devices (per 12-month period) with an immediate account credit for the value of the old device. Customers can take advantage of the program in participating Sprint stores or online at Sprint.com/buyback. Devices that do not qualify for the Sprint Buyback program can be donated to Sprint Project Connect, a recycling/reuse program that accepts all used wireless phones, batteries, accessories and data cards, regardless of carrier or condition. All net proceeds generated from the sale of equipment collected through Sprint Project Connect help to promote free Internet safety resources for kids, parents and educators through Sprint’s 4NetSafetySM program.
- Paperless Billing: Help protect the planet and sign up for e-Billing with Sprint! Customers who enroll in paperless billing with Sprint not only reduce their paper consumption but also help conserve precious natural resources and decrease waste. More than 23 percent of Sprint customers have signed up for paperless billing to date with Sprint. This has helped save 2.4 million pounds of paper and has prevented the production of 13.2 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions and 26.5 million gallons of waste water.
Some downloadable applications may require an additional charge. Casual data charges of $0.03/kb will apply to customers not on a plan with unlimited data.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 48.8 million customers at the end of the third quarter of 2010 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, Common Cents Mobile and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 6 in its 2010 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
1 Sprint 4G network reaches 70 markets and counting, on select devices. See sprint.com/4G for details.
Emmy Anderson, 913-707-0618