May 17, 2006
Fans Break Wireless Handset Voting Record for NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge
Voting continues through May 20 as part of Sprint Nextel's NASCAR Wireless Offerings
Becky Cox, 704-634-5899
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — 05/17/2006
More than 92,000 votes have been cast by Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) customers for the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge Fan Vote - a 511 percent increase over 2005 - but procrastinators haven't missed out yet.
Race fans still have the opportunity to vote in one driver among the top 50 in NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series driver points standings who is not already in the May 20 NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge field at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Fans can cast a vote until 5 p.m. EDT May 20 through:
- Sprint or Nextel phones - Text "NASCAR" to 7777 on your Sprint or Nextel Web-enabled phone and follow the received directions
- Trackside at The Nextel Experience
- Participating Sprint and Nextel retail locations
- Online at www.nascar.com
Fans who vote through a Sprint or Nextel handset will receive a free Mark Martin screensaver commemorating his 2005 NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge victory. Competition to win the NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge Fan Vote is tight with the following drivers leading the way (in alphabetical order): Kyle Petty, Elliott Sadler and Martin Truex, Jr.
Meanwhile, Sprint Nextel is offering a host of new wireless content and features to help race fans stay up to speed at the track and on the go. Features include:
- Exclusive NEXTEL All-Star Challenge Content – Insight from industry experts Benny Parsons, Larry McReynolds and Humpy Wheeler, as well as current NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series drivers, is available on multimedia Sprint Power VisionSM handsets and in text versions for other Sprint and Nextel customers. New content is continually being added.
- NASCAR Driver Telecards – Personal messages and holiday greetings from NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series drivers that fans can send directly to the wireless or wireline phones of their friends and family. Each Telecard is just $2.50 plus tax and features the voice of Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Dale Jarrett, Kasey Kahne and Elliott Sadler.
- NASCAR Driver Voice Ringers – Specialized ring tones Sprint or Nextel phone owners will hear when receiving an incoming call. Also $2.50 each, Voice Ringers are exclusive to Sprint Nextel and available from seven NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series drivers.
- NASCAR Driver Call Tones – Customized ring tones that sound when fans call a Sprint PCS handsets user. Fans can select driver greetings from Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kasey Kahne and Elliott Sadler for just $2.50 each.
At the track …
- Text to Screen has become a source of entertainment during non-peak times as more than 35,000 messages about fans' favorite teams, drivers and friends have been sent to the giant Nextel Vision and The Nextel Experience screens.
- NASCAR Cell on Wheels (NASCOWs) - One NASCOW and several SuperCOWs (smaller cell on wheels strategically placed around the track) deliver the equivalent of 15 cell sites and are placed at every NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series racetrack to enhance coverage and capacity to users of both Sprint PCS and Nextel-branded phones.
- NASCAR NEXTEL FanView - A revolutionary race scanner that combines direct audio feeds, on-demand audio replay, live video of the race broadcast and multiple in-car camera views that continues to exceed rental forecasts. The devices will be available for sale later in the year. More than 30,000 NASCAR NEXTEL FanView devices have been rented to date for $50 a day or $70 for the weekend.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of communications services bringing mobility to consumer, business and government customers. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks offering industry leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.