June 01, 2011
Give Dad the Father’s Day He Deserves with Cool and Innovative Smartphones and Tablets from Sprint
Access to More Than 200,000 Apps Through Android Market Will Keep Dad Entertained and Organized
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), June 01, 2011 - Today’s dads have many roles to fill – Mr. Fix-It, coach, boss man, and, most important, dad. Sprint (NYSE:S) helps customers find the perfect gift for dad this Father's Day (June 19) with a large selection of affordable and feature-rich phones that are sure to help him fill all the roles.
Sprint offers a variety of devices for the tech-centric and budget conscious dad. With four eco-friendly phones, four 4G smartphones and 10 other 4G capable devices in addition to several other cool devices, Sprint simplifies shopping for dad with an assortment of devices to choose from and budget-friendly wireless plans.
“Sprint’s portfolio of smartphones and tablets make it easy for dads to stay connected with their work and families while keeping up with the latest sports scores and news on-the-go,” said David Owens, Sprint vice president of product development. “With our affordable devices and our truly unlimited Simply Everything plan, dads don’t have to worry about overage charges or keeping track of their data usage. They can also make the most of their downtime with powerful tools loaded on our devices, including Sprint ID packs, which simplify the Android experience.”
What would Father’s Day be without the perfect gift from Sprint? Whether dad is an Earth lover or a multitasking guru, Sprint has a device that will complement his personality:
- Samsung Replenish™: Give the Earth-loving Dad the power of Android on an eco-friendly smartphone. Partially built with recycled plastics1 and recyclable packaging2, Replenish is enabled with Sprint ID, which allows dad to personalize his device instantly with eco-friendly focused apps and mobile content. Sprint ID also offers easy way for dad to personalize his phone with apps, widgets, ringtones and more all in a single download. Samsung Replenish is available for just $49.99 (excluding taxes) with a two-year service agreement and new-line activation or eligible upgrade. As part of a special promotion that showcases Sprint’s commitment to environmental responsibility, dad can save $10 per month on his monthly wireless service when he purchases a Samsung Replenish.
- Kyocera Echo™: Helping dad multitask, Kyocera Echo’s dual-touchscreen smartphone lets dad compose an email on one screen and check score updates on the Web on the other screen. Available for $199.99 (excludes taxes) with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade, Echo provides the convenience of a pocket-sized device with a tablet-like experience.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab™: For the dad who needs it all, Samsung Galaxy tablet gives dad quick and easy access to the Web, or he can send an email, share pictures and video, use GPS navigation or watch videos. With a 7-inch enhanced TFT touchscreen display and weighing less than a pound, Samsung Galaxy Tab helps dad stay entertained and productive while on-the-go. It costs $199.99 (excludes taxes) with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade.
- Nexus S™ 4G: For the power-centric Dad who wants the latest in Android technology and the speed of 4G coupled with a super AMOLED screen to deliver an incredible web browsing experience. Available for $199.99 (excludes taxes) with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade, Nexus S 4G offers a pure Google experience.
- Samsung Galaxy Prevail™: This year give dad a gift that’s easy on the bank account by offering him wireless independence through Boost Mobile with the Samsung Galaxy Prevail. This device combines all the features of Android with Boost Mobile’s $50 Monthly Unlimited plan, which includes nationwide talk, text, Web, email and monthly payments that may shrink over time.
- MiFi® 2200: Helping the on-the-go dad stay connected, MiFi 2200 is an Intelligent Mobile Hotspot developed for Virgin Mobile USA in conjunction with Novatel® Wireless. It’s priced at $149.99 and allows up to five users at a time to connect a variety of Wi-Fi® enabled devices to the internet. No searching for a coffee shop! Virgin Mobile’s No Annual Contract Broadband2Go plans feature 3G speeds, starting at just $10 for 10 days/100MB of access; $20 per month provides 500MB of data; $50 per month gives you unlimited data access with 3G speeds up to 2.5GB each month.
Cools Apps to Make Life Easier for Dad
Make dad’s smartphone even smarter this Father’s Day with apps that will help him do just about anything – from finding activities to do with his kids to making home repairs to following his favorite sports team.
- GreatDad: GreatDad, powered by Aloqa, proactively pushes real-time recommendations to dads wherever they are on all the things they can be doing with their kids. Based on their preferences, dads can simply glance at their phones and find which museums, attractions, favorite businesses and events are close by. Free in Android Market.
- iHandyCarpenter: Dad can forgo looking through his toolbox with this app, which provides five professional tools that will help him spruce up the house, like a surface level, steel ruler and steel protractor. $1.99 in Android Market – simply add the fee to dad’s Sprint account or there is a one-time setup process to save credit card information for app purchases using Google Checkout.
- ScoreMobile: Dad can follow his favorite sport even when away from the TV or computer with the ScoreMobile app. Coverage includes: American football (NFL, NCAAF, CFL), basketball (NBA, NCAAB, NCAAWB), baseball (MLB), hockey (NHL), golf (PGA), MMA (UFC, Strikeforce), auto racing (NASCAR Sprint Cup, F1), tennis, cricket (ICC and IPL) and soccer (EPL/Premiership, Champions League, Series A, La Liga, MLS). Free in Android Market.
- CardioTrainer: If dad is healthy and likes walking, running, biking or other fitness activities, this app will let him automatically track his exercise activity with GPS and a pedometer. Dad can use this app to record any kind of workout and then review them with a rich graphical history. He can compare himself to other users with world rankings and high scores and share his exercise activity with his friends on Facebook. Free in Android Market.
- Lookout Mobile Security: Help dad keep his phone safe. Lookout Mobile Security provides award-winning security to protect dad’s phone from viruses, malware and spyware; the ability to backup and restore data; and tools to help locate his phone should it become lost or stolen. Free in Android Market.
- Virgin Mobile Live 2.0: Dad can rock out or chill out to music from the Virgin Mobile Live 2.0 app. Virgin Mobile Live 2.0 is a social networking music application that provides all Android users free access to the company's critically acclaimed music stream hosted by DJ Abbey Braden, as well as past Virgin Mobile FreeFest performance videos, and "check in" features at special events, such as Lady Gaga concerts. All status updates made using the app will also sync with Facebook® and Twitter®. Free in Android Market.
Dads with a Sprint ID-capable device, such as LG Optimus S™, Sanyo Zio™, Samsung Replenish™, Samsung Transform™, Samsung Epic™ 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab™, can get a variety of useful apps in a single download. Dads can have up to five ID packs on their device at once and they’re free to download with Sprint’s Everything Data plan.
A few ID packs dad may want to download: ESPN ID – instant access to scores right on the device’s home screen, as well as one-tap access to sports news, fantasy teams and dad’s favorite ESPN programs, including more than 900 live events per year on ESPN Mobile TV; Health & Fitness – dad can stay in shape with healthy recipes and exercise tips; Green ID – provides apps, widgets and mobile shortcuts to help dad shop for green products, keep up to date with green news, get tips on how to live a greener lifestyle, and help make the planet better for his kids’ future.
Give Dad Extra Savings
Dad will be sure to smile when he hears about the savings he receives by switching to Sprint. The Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM includes unlimited text, Web and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint network, starting at just $69.99 per month plus a required $10 Premium Data add-on charge for smartphones – a savings of $39.99 per month vs. Verizon’s comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and Web.3
The Sprint Simply Everything Plan offers more value and simplicity than most other wireless carriers because it is the only plan from a national carrier to offer truly unlimited service while on the Sprint network for every phone without the worry of throttling or overage. The Simply Everything Plan delivers unlimited text, Web and calling and includes email, social networking, GPS Navigation, TV and radio while on the Sprint 3G and 4G networks for $99.99 per month, plus a required $10 Premium Data add-on charge for smartphones.
Dad will worry a little less as Sprint customers get more with unlimited data plans on the Sprint network. Sprint offers real simplicity, value and savings vs. other national competitors, making it easy for customers to get the most out of their phones without using a calculator to tally up costs, worry about how much data they’ve used, or whether their data will be slowed. For more information, visit sprint.com/unlimited.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 51 million customers at the end of 1Q 2011 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 6 in its 2010 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
1 Casing includes 34.6 percent post-consumer recycled plastic content (the highest level in our eco-portfolio), and 82 percent of the device is made from recyclable materials.
2 Fully recyclable packaging incorporates 80 percent post-consumer waste material and uses soy inks.
3 Plan pricing excludes taxes and surcharges.