April 10, 2008
Sprint Business Customers in Kansas, Colorado Get Sanyo Pro-200 and Pro-700 Phones for Nextel Direct Connect Plus Sprint Mobile Broadband
Launch of QChat devices, available now through Sprint direct sales in two states, gives business customers more ways to get things done instantly with 'the button'
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 10, 2008--Sprint (NYSE:S) announced today the launch of two new Nextel Direct Connect(R) devices powered by Qualcomm's QChat(R) technology, the Sanyo Pro-200 and the Sanyo Pro-700. Both phones are available now for purchase by large business customers through the Sprint direct sales force in Kansas and Colorado. These new Nextel Direct Connect devices incorporate the speed of Sprint Mobile Broadband and Sprint's largest voice calling area, giving customers a wider selection of phones to instantly meet their productivity needs with connection in less than one second to millions of existing Nextel Direct Connect subscribers nationwide.
"Efficient work and social groups rely heavily on instant connections with each other, and QChat continues to deliver on this gold standard of push-to-talk connectivity on Sprint's Now Network," said John Garcia, chief marketing officer for Sprint. "In addition to delivering on this instantaneous connectivity, these new phones also add the speed of Sprint Mobile Broadband and a larger voice calling area so customers can do more, faster."
The Sanyo Pro-200 and Pro-700 provide industry-leading push-to-talk performance, while operating on Rev. A portions of the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network (except in Puerto Rico). Compared to other providers, Sprint's expanded Nextel Direct Connect portfolio continues to offer significantly faster call set-up times of less than one second and one-to-one interoperability with the world's largest established push-to-talk community. Features available on these handsets include:
- Direct Connect(R): Instant one-to-one push-to-talk communication that is interoperable with the millions of existing Nextel Direct Connect subscribers. Direct Connect provides the call set-up times of less than one second that customers have come to rely on to boost productivity and save time and money.
- Call Alerts: A repeating alert that users can send to let another Nextel Direct Connect subscriber know they are trying to reach them.
- Group Connect(R): Unique one-to-many capability of Group Connect that helps customers quickly communicate with up to 20 other Nextel Direct Connect users all at once. Group Connect groups can be created and managed dynamically on the device or online. At this time, these new devices are not interoperable with Nextel or PowerSource devices for Group Connect services.
In addition, with these new devices, customers have the ability to take advantage of Sprint's largest voice calling area and the blazing data speeds of Sprint Mobile Broadband. Sprint Mobile Broadband brings customers instant gratification so they can get what they want when they want it, with fast file downloads, Web browsing, email access and more. The vast majority of Sprint's Mobile Broadband Network has been upgraded to EV-DO Rev. A technology, providing users ultra-fast speeds on the nation's largest mobile broadband network (based on covered square miles). The Sprint Mobile Broadband Network (inclusive of data roaming) reaches more than 242 million people, 15,325 cities and 1,452 airports.
Other new features exclusive to the new Sanyo Pro-200 and Pro-700 phones include:
- Single number option: If they wish, most customers purchasing these new devices can choose the simplicity of having one phone number for voice and push-to-talk calls on the Sanyo Pro-200 and Pro-700. If preferred, all Nextel Direct Connect subscribers can opt to have a separate Direct Connect number.
- TeamDC: This more formal one-to-many feature allows up to 35 Nextel Direct Connect subscribers to communicate via PTT at the same time - nationwide, quickly and easily. Customers create and manage groups online, then all members of the group receive a notification and can access the group. TeamDC is only available on these new devices and is not interoperable with Nextel or PowerSource devices.
- DC Permissions: Customers have the ability to block/allow incoming one-to-one push-to-talk calls and Call Alerts with the Sanyo Pro-200 and Pro-700 phones.
- PTT Missed Call Notification: - When on a Nextel Direct Connect call, customers receive a notification if they miss a push-to-talk call, Call Alert or Group call.
- Call Alerts with Text: With the new Call Alerts with Text feature, customers can attach one of several preset text messages, such as "Please stop by," to Call Alerts sent to other Sanyo Pro-200 and Pro-700 users.
- Sprint(R) Mobile Sync: This easy-to-use online tool lets customers manage all of their contact information online, including setting up groups. Additionally, this feature automatically synchronizes with the phone, allowing for easier entry, easier access and full secure backup of contacts. Contacts automatically transfer if the customer moves to another Sprint Mobile Sync-capable device.
The PRO-200 by Sanyo(R) sports an attractive, slim clamshell form factor and delivers instant Nextel Direct Connect push-to-talk services and key functionalities including Bluetooth(R), messaging capabilities and mobile email. This device is available for as low as $49.99 with a two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate.
The PRO-700 by Sanyo(R) is a rugged device certified to military standards for dust, shock and vibration. With instant Nextel Direct Connect push-to-talk services, Bluetooth(R), messaging capabilities and mobile email, this device is available for as low as $69.99 with a two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate.
The Sanyo Pro-200 and the Sanyo Pro-700 are available now for purchase by enterprise customers through the Sprint direct sales force in Kansas and Colorado. Sprint plans to expand availability in additional markets and channels through the remainder of 2008. Customers can sign up to be notified of commercial availability in additional markets at www.sprint.com/instantconnect.
Nextel Direct Connect on these new phones is available at existing service prices. Unlimited Direct Connect is included at no additional charge in many Sprint pricing plans, including the new $99 Simply Everything(SM) plan, which also includes unlimited Group Connect and unlimited nationwide voice calling, messaging and data. For more information on Simply Everything plans, please visit: www.sprint.com/everything.
Sprint plans to add additional handsets to the Nextel Direct Connect portfolio this summer, including:
- LX400 by LG - The LX400 by LG is packaged in a slender form factor and will enable Nextel Direct Connect push-to-talk services. The device will also include key features such as a 1.3 megapixel camera, Bluetooth, GPS capabilities and noise reduction capabilities.
- Z400 by Samsung - Rugged push-to-talk choices expand with the Z400 by Samsung which has a professional-looking design that features rubber for a sure hold and added surface protection. Customers will also have added benefits of a 1.3 megapixel camera, Sprint Navigation and Bluetooth support in this clamshell handset.
- Z700 by Samsung- The Z700 by Samsung brings together the convenience of instant, get-in/get-out communication, as well as a 2 megapixel camera, Sprint TV and Sprint Music Store, stereo Bluetooth, MicroSD memory card slot and external music control keys.
- Motorola V950 - Durable, yet stylish exterior nature creates a unique "modern rugged" design. The Motorola V950 is slimmed down and suited up to perform anywhere, in the elements, on the job and on the go. The V950 also packs Stereo Bluetooth(R), a 2 megapixel camera, image spotlight and stand-alone GPS solutions to deliver a robust communications tool. Customers will also be able to enjoy Sprint Music Store, Sprint TV and the convenience of external music controls.
This selection of devices from leading manufacturers, with designs ranging from rugged phones that meet the rigors of military specifications to sleek new flip phones, will give customers new and exciting device choices with the same instant connection to the world's largest push-to-talk community that they have come to expect from Nextel Direct Connect.
About Nextel Direct Connect
With more than 15 years of expertise, Sprint is the undisputed leader in push-to-talk with the largest community of users in the world. Nextel Direct Connect has set the industry standard for push-to-talk and serves millions of Nextel Direct Connect subscribers on the fastest national push-to-talk network. These customers made more than 90 billion Nextel Direct Connect connections in 2007.
Nextel Direct Connect is the only push-to-talk product in the industry that offers:
- Industry-leading performance with the advantage of instant connection (call set-up times of less than one second)
- Connection to the world's largest community of users, with millions of existing Nextel Direct Connect subscribers
- Nationwide and international push-to-talk services
- The largest portfolio of push-to-talk devices, including the largest selection of rugged phones
- Integrated business solutions, including the largest selection of GPS-solutions
For more information about Nextel Direct Connect, please visit www.sprint.com/nexteldirectconnect.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks serving approximately 54 million customers at the end of 2007; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.
CONTACT: Sprint Emmy Anderson, 913-707-0618 email@example.com or Amy Schiska-Lombard, 913-794-2947 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE: Sprint Nextel