October 10, 2007
Sprint Introduces the BlackBerry Pearl 8130, a Polished Package to Keep Customers Connected, Informed and Entertained at SprintSpeed(TM)
First Sprint-powered BlackBerry smartphone to support Sprint Music Store and Sprint TV(SM)
Built-in GPS, 2 mega-pixel camera, external microSD slot and stereo Bluetooth just some of the many enhancements for this next-generation BlackBerry Pearl
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 10, 2007--Sprint (NYSE:S) today announced plans to offer the BlackBerry(R) Pearl 8130 next month, giving customers the complete BlackBerry smartphone experience, including exciting new multimedia and communications capabilities for both personal and business use. Sporting a thin, sleek design, this amethyst-colored smartphone supports the broadest range of Sprint Power Vision Services ever offered on a BlackBerry device. Besides accessing core capabilities like calendar management, personal and corporate email, and viewing documents, customers can also take advantage of exclusive Sprint services like:
- Sprint Music Store - Download stereo-quality tracks instantly over the air. Choose songs from thousands of artists in virtually every genre.
- Sprint TV(SM) - Watch live TV or video-on-demand with full-motion video and vivid sound or catch the latest news, sports, weather, entertainment and movie trailers on the go. Choose from more than 50 live television channels.
- OnDemand - Set up personal preferences and get customized news, sports, movies, and weather updates all based on your zip code. Stay informed and connected regardless of where you are on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network.
- Sprint Navigation - As the first carrier to offer GPS-capable BlackBerry devices, Sprint continues this innovation with support for Sprint Navigation which delivers voice-guided and on-screen turn-by-turn GPS-enabled driving directions, 3-D moving maps similar to an in-car navigation system or personal navigation device, as well as local search and real-time intelligent traffic alerts and one-click rerouting, anywhere on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network.
"The Pearl 8130 is the best BlackBerry candy bar form factor ever launched by Sprint," said Danny Bowman, vice president of customer equipment for Sprint. "Operating on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network, the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 combines advanced smartphone features in an innovative design so customers can leave the laptop behind and live large, all at SprintSpeed(TM)."
Building upon the success of earlier models, the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 maintains a stylish slim device and includes several new features including:
- Built-in GPS
- 2 MP camera with enhanced flash for pictures and video recording
- External microSD/SDHC memory card slot for additional storage
- Enhanced background noise, wind and echo cancellation
- Stereo Bluetooth(R) support and 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- Improved media player and desktop media manager
"The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 packs an impressive array of communications and multimedia features in an incredibly small, stylish and easy-to-use smartphone design," said Mark Guibert, vice president of corporate marketing at RIM. "We are extremely pleased to introduce the first CDMA-enabled BlackBerry Pearl with support for the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network and a range of powerful Sprint multimedia services."
Pricing and Availability
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 will be available next month online at www.sprint.com, through Sprint Telesales, Sprint business sales channels and retail locations.
Starting tomorrow customers can sign up to be notified of commercial availability of the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Sprint at www.sprint.com/pearl. Pricing will be announced upon commercial availability.
Standard Vision charges apply to all content downloads and services listed above.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks serving 54 million customers at the end of the second quarter 2007; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.
CONTACT: Sprint Amy Schiska-Lombard, 913-794-2947 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE: Sprint Nextel