January 25, 2007
Sprint Launches Multimedia Campaign with Sponsorship of MANA U.S. Tour
MANA's U.S. tour starts on Feb. 9 Sprint Power Vision Subscribers Can Receive Exclusive Access to MANA
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 25, 2007--Sprint (NYSE: S) continues its unprecedented sponsorship of one of the most popular rock en espanol bands, MANA, and launches an extensive multimedia campaign providing its subscribers unique and compelling mobile entertainment and fan opportunities as the band kicks off its U.S. Tour. MANA's upcoming U.S. Tour, "Amar es Combatir" (i.e., "Love is war/struggle"), starts on Feb. 9 in San Diego, Calif., and takes the band to more than 11 cities across the United States and Puerto Rico.
"Sprint understands the importance of providing our Hispanic customers with compelling new ways to enjoy the powerful mobile entertainment services that Sprint Power Vision(SM) offers," said Isaac Mizrahi, director of multicultural marketing for Sprint. "As the exclusive wireless sponsor of MANA's U.S. Tour, we can deliver Latin music fans access to unique Spanish-language content, content they will only find on Sprint."
The Sprint sponsorship of the band's tour is part of a larger, integrated campaign that includes a national "Vive MANA" sweepstakes, advertisements (broadcast and online) and in-store promotions in key Hispanic markets, and the opportunity to access an exclusive MANA Fan Club Destination on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network (standard Vision and text-messaging charges apply).
"Wireless is the new way for fans to discover and enjoy our music and we are thrilled that Sprint is sponsoring our tour in the United States and Puerto Rico," said Fher Olvera, lead singer of MANA. "The on-the-go nature of wireless allows our fans to follow the tour, download our music and watch our videos, access behind the scenes content, and experience the tour in new and exciting ways."
Sprint fans will have the power to enjoy the ultimate MANA entertainment experience in the following ways:
- "Vive MANA" National Sweepstakes: Launched on Jan. 14, the Sprint sweepstakes provides the opportunity for a lucky winner to get a rock-star-inspired VIP weekend with five of his/her friends, including first-class flight and accommodations to attend one of MANA's "Amar es Combatir" tour concerts later this year and exclusive benefits such as the chance to meet the band face to face.
- To enter the sweepstakes, text the word "MANA" to 5678 (standard text-messaging rates apply); send a 3" x 5" postcard with the following hand-written information - name (first and last), address (no P.O. Box), date of birth and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day, to: VIVE MANA SWEEPSTAKES, P.O. Box 7928, Melville, NY 11775-7928; or visit the Web site, www.sprint.com/mana.
- The entry deadline is March 31; one lucky winner will be randomly selected and notified in May 2007. See below for details.*
- The MANA Concert Experience: At the concerts, MANA fans can enjoy multiple Sprint-sponsored pre-concert events, including access to street teams offering Sprint-branded premiums (i.e., T-shirts, posters, etc.), and the opportunity to participate in a seat-upgrade program and text-to-screen at select concerts.
- MANA Fan Club Destination: Sprint has also unveiled a MANA Fan Club Destination in partnership with Warner Music Group on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network. This one-of-a-kind fan destination was designed to give MANA fans an exclusive menu of options to experience never-before-seen Spanish-language content, including video interviews and streaming music videos, directly on their Sprint Power Vision phones. This exclusive content complements other Sprint offers, including over-the-air full-song downloads, ringers, videos, screensavers and much more. To access the MANA Fan Club Destination, customers can simply text "MANA" to 5678 using Sprint or Nextel service (standard text-messaging rates apply).
- Integration: On Jan. 22, Sprint debuted nationally a 30-second commercial, titled "Airport" that integrates the legendary band and demonstrates the ease in which MANA fans can experience MANA on Sprint Power Vision phones. And, as a testament to the relationship, MANA integrated Sprint into their recent music video "Manda una Senal," which is about a girl who, mistreated by her current boyfriend, finds herself interested in someone new. The girl sends a picture mail to her new "friend" of where she is throughout the city.
Sprint reaches more people than any other carrier with its mobile broadband network (EV-DO), which reaches more than 200 million people nationwide. The mobile broadband network allows users to access audio, video and data applications with handheld and connection-card devices. For more on Sprint offerings for the Hispanic community, please visit www.sprint.com/laredpowervision.
About MANA and Sprint
In 2006 Sprint helped launch the band's highly anticipated album, Amar es Combatir, and offered exclusive content through the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network including ringers, videos, screensavers and much more. Additionally, Sprint broadcasted MANA's L.A. private concert LIVE through Sprint Vision and Power Vision service, nationwide. The band's entire performance was also made available for on-demand playback for a period of 90 days.
Editors note: High-resolution images, broll and advertisements available upon request.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks serving more than 51 million customers at the end of third quarter 2006; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.
MANA is one of the most influential rock bands and their popularity had lead to sales of over 22 million albums worldwide, 5 GRAMMY(R) Awards and 9 Billboard Awards. Over 12 million people in 32 countries attended their last worldwide tour making them one of Latin Rock's super groups.
* No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Must be a legal U.S. resident who is 18 years of age or older to enter and win. Open to continental U.S. residents only. Sweepstakes begins on Jan. 14, 2007, at 12:00:01 am Eastern Standard Time ("EST") and ends on March 31, 2007, at 11:59:59 p.m. EST. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Standard text-messaging charges apply. For complete official rules and details regarding alternate methods of entry, visit www.sprint.com/mana or see in-store material.
The Vidal Partnership
Barbara Maschwitz, 646-356-6612
Jackie Bostick, 913-794-3045