September 12, 2006
Sprint Power View Launches Today: Free, First-of-its-Kind, Made-for-Mobile Sports/Entertainment Programming Network
A first in the mobile industry, original daily programming includes sports, gossip, recaps
Anchor studio based in New York and bolstered with 15 mobile production crews to cover events from coast to coast
Dave DeVries, 312-235-6901
Cristi Allen, 913-794-1155
More information and a video sample is included in the Sprint Power View press kit.
Editor's note: At 10:30am and 1:30pm ET today, Sprint will upload, via satellite, a sample clip for broadcast television news purposes. Contact Joel Shadle at 703/433-4654 or firstname.lastname@example.org for logistic information.
OVERLAND PARK, Ks. — 09/12/2006
Sprint (NYSE: S) confirmed its wireless data leadership position with today's debut of Sprint Power View - the industry's first made-for-mobile sports and entertainment video programming network. With this initiative, Sprint has the ability to provide millions of Sprint Vision and Power Vision(SM) customers the latest sports and entertainment news, features and original programming at no additional charge. Produced by Emmy® Award-winning talent and supported by a team of veteran broadcasters, Sprint has the power to offer its subscribers the sports and entertainment updates they want, whenever and wherever they need it, thanks to the nation's largest wireless broadband network.
This studio-based network will cover the gamut of sports and entertainment with a variety of shows - filmed to leverage Sprint's high-speed Power Vision network. Sprint Power View shows are refreshed several times per day, seven days per week and will originate from the Sprint Power View desk located in New York in partnership with IMG Media, the global leader in delivery of traditional and new-media content. In addition to the main Sprint Power View desk, 15 mobile camera crews will file on-location stories from venues and events from major markets in the United States. mSpot, a mobile multimedia entertainment company, will provide a free Java multimedia application and manage the ongoing operations of Sprint Power View.
"Sprint recognizes that we are living in an ever-increasing mobile society," said Alana Muller, director of product marketing for Sprint. "Consumers' strong appetites for sports and entertainment news at any time and any place - like mounting commutes via mass transportation or lengthy lines at nationwide airports - requires a fundamental shift in the way this content is delivered. Sprint Power View shows were designed with the mobile user in mind, enabled by the country's most expansive wireless broadband network. The launch of Sprint Power View illustrates our company's growing commitment to meet our customers' needs in an entertaining and effortless fashion."
Currently, Sprint Power View is compatible with dozens of Sprint mobile devices (full list follows below) and is free of charge to Sprint Vision and Power Vision subscribers, who can view the shows in one of two ways:
- A free Sprint Power View downloadable Java application is now available, which plays all shows and offers text alert updates. To initiate the free download, Sprint customers text the word "Power" to 7777.
- Alternatively, all Sprint Power View shows reside within Sprint TV, on channels 35 and 33, also free of charge.
Initial show schedule, anchors
Tailor-made for wireless phones, Sprint Power View shows will provide original, day-to-day coverage of key sporting matchups and developments, as well as entertainment news updates. Several Sprint Power View shows will debut in the first seven days of service, including (all times listed are Eastern):
- NFL Game Center: hosted by sports broadcasting veteran James Brown. This 5-minute show will preview the day's games and offers analyses on key matchups, injuries and more.
- U.S. Open Wrapup Report: featuring Jim Courier and Carrie Milbank. This show recaps the USTA's U.S. Open and includes video highlights from the tournament, insight, analysis and commentary.
- The Mobile Fix: Updated daily at 5 p.m., this 5-minute show gives all the juiciest entertainment news and hot gossip.
- Daily Dose: hosted by Ryan McDonough (of FOX Soccer Channel). Updated daily at 8 a.m., this 5-minute show provides an in-depth preview of key daily matchups in all sports and recaps prior day's developments and helps sports fans stay "in the know."
- NFL Preview: also featuring James Brown, this show offers a quick overview of the NFL season.
- NFL Wrap: hosted by NFL radio veteran Bruce Murray, this show airs Sundays at 5 p.m. (and updated again at 8 p.m.). It includes video highlights from the day's games, analysis with detailed commentary, key plays, coaching moves and more.
- New York Fashion Week coverage: debuting today, this show provides updates and interviews with designers and fashion editors.
In subsequent weeks, additional programs will complete the Sprint Power View schedule, including shows that focus on fantasy football, gaming, music and more. Those shows will be announced in the days ahead with programming notes.
Respected production staff, technical expertise already on board
A number of respected industry veterans are bringing Sprint Power View shows to Sprint customers daily, including executive producers Russell Quy and Steve Mayer, supported by producers Marc Forest, Mike Dutton, Charlie Dixon, Bill Diggins and Bruce Gillmer. This dynamic team brings years of award-winning television, broadband and mobile production experience to Sprint Power View.
Any Sprint device capable of playing Sprint TV can view free Sprint Power View shows. Many other devices are also compatible with the free Power View Java application - with more being added on a weekly basis. Devices currently compatible with Sprint Power View include the following:
Samsung: A490, A620, A660, A680, A740, A760, A790, A800, A840, A880, A900, A920, A940, A960
LG: 125, 225, 325, 535, 550 (Fusic)
Other: PalmOne Treo 700p
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of communications services bringing mobility to consumer, business and government customers. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks offering industry leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.