October 17, 2006
Sprint 'Powers Up' Nationwide Sprint PCS Network Coverage in South Florida With Wireless Coverage, Capacity Enhancements
Upgrades part of a $7 billion nationwide investment by Sprint to further enhance network performance and the customer experience
Nanci Schwartz, Sprint, 352-326-1326
MIAMI, Fla. — 10/17/2006
Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) today announced improvements to its Nationwide Sprint PCS Networksm in various communities across South Florida. These extensive upgrades are the result of adding additional wireless cell sites and equipment to the Sprint PCS Network, delivering expanded coverage and network capacity to better serve customers in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
"Providing an excellent customer experience is Sprint's number one priority in South Florida and wherever we offer our wide range of wireless phones, plans and features," said Bob Halcrow, area vice president, Florida. "It's especially important to the Sprint network team in this region that we do all we can to ensure our customers are highly satisfied with their Sprint services."
The following is a detailed list of the areas benefiting by these enhancements to the Sprint PCS Network:
- Improved coverage in Opa-Locka along Opa-Locka Boulevard and US 441
- Improved coverage in the Mall of the Americas area along SR 826/Palmetto Expressway, south to Flagler Street
- Improved coverage in Sweetwater from Southwest 147th Avenue east to Southwest 127th Avenue and north to US 41 and south to Southwest 36th Street
- Improved coverage in Miami Beach in the North Bay Village area
- Improved coverage in Coral Gables between Tamiami Trail and Coral Way, east to Lejeune Road and west to Granada Boulevard
- Improved coverage in Kendall Lakes along North Kendall Drive between Krome Avenue and Southwest 147th Street, and north to Sunset Drive and south to Southwest 104th Street
- Also in Kendall Lakes along Miller Drive, in the area west of the Miccosukee Golf and Country Club
- Improved coverage in Tamarac along SW 88th Avenue to just north of West McNab Road and south to West Commercial Boulevard
- Improved coverage in Ft. Lauderdale along I-95, between Northwest 10th Street and Northwest 19th Street
- Also in Ft. Lauderdale along JW McLauchlin Avenue west of Holiday Park
- Improved coverage in Cooper City along Griffin Road at Southwest 124th Street and south to Stirling Road
- Improved coverage in Weston along Saddle Club Road between I-75 and Arvida Parkway
- Improved coverage in Pompano Beach from Northwest Andrews Avenue east to i-95 along Northwest 36th Street
- Improved coverage in Deerfield Beach along Southwest 10th Street and west to Powerline Drive and East to South Military Trail
Sprint plans to spend $7 billion on its wireless and wireline networks this year.
"Sprint is proud of its unwavering dedication to optimize its network performance," Halcrow said. "Customers in the South Florida area can expect to see expanded network quality as we continue our efforts to enhance and improve their wireless experience with Sprint."
Power Network Coverage Tool Provides Unique View
In October, Sprint launched its Power Network Coverage Tool to help customers view detailed coverage maps down to the street address level. By entering an address or zip code, customers can see the availability of wireless coverage and the network signal strength on the Nextel National Networksm, Nationwide Sprint PCS Network or Sprint Power Vision Network. Customers can also view the location of recently added cell sites in many areas. The tool, available at www.sprint.com/coverage and at self-service touch-screen kiosks at hundreds of Sprint Nextel retail stores, is simple to use and helps set network coverage expectations for customers before signing up for wireless service.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks covering nearly 282 million people and serving more than 51 million customers at the end of third quarter 2006; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.