August 31, 2006
Sprint Turns Up the Music with Exclusive Streaming Radio and Video and Unique Song-download Features
Sprint Radio launches with more than 50 channels, and the Sprint Music Store introduces new features, including the unique ability to receive personalized music recommendations
Aaron Radelet, 703-433-8246
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — 08/31/2006
Sprint (NYSE: S) announced today that it continues to lead mobile music with the launch of the exclusive Sprint Radio service and the introduction of unique features and a promotion for the Sprint Music Store.
Sprint Radio features more than 50 channels of streaming radio and video with programming that offers today's hottest music and music videos as well as news, weather, sports, finance and entertainment from popular sources such as NPR, ESPN and Radio Disney. Sprint Radio is offered through a partnership with mSpot, which is responsible for content production and ongoing operations of the service.
Sprint Radio covers many different music genres, including urban, pop, Latin, rock, reggaetone, country, dance, spiritual, jazz and more. It is available via a subscription for $5.95 a month on the Sprint Media Player or as a downloadable Java® application. Sprint Radio is offered on select handsets across all three of Sprint's networks: Sprint Power Vision, Sprint Vision and Nextel.
The Sprint Music Store, which became the first over-the-air song-download service available in the United States in October 2005 in partnership with Groove Mobile, is now the first service of its kind to provide personalized recommendations based on a customer's past purchases as well as other customers' past purchases. A customer can now visit the "Recommendations" section under the main menu of the Music Store to see a list of songs and artists that may be of interest based on what the customer has bought in the past. Additionally, a customer can select a song from the playlist to find what other customers who bought that song have also purchased.
A new promotion for the Sprint Music Store allows customers to buy two songs and Sprint will provide a third song at no charge from now until Nov. 15. Additionally, several other unique features are now available that enable the customer to:
- Listen to downloaded songs while shopping for others,
- Press play, pause, skip, fast-forward and rewind on special external keys on select phones, including the FUSIC by LG which is only available from Sprint,
- Re-download a song once without a charge if the song was accidentally deleted and
- Find music more easily with expanded charts and categories.
"More people than ever before are enjoying music on their mobile phones, and this popularity is expected to continue to rise as Sprint offers more truly differentiated ways to be entertained no matter where our customers are throughout their busy days," said Alana Muller, director of entertainment product marketing for Sprint. "Sprint makes music easy – not requiring any wires, extra devices or complex navigation. We allow our customers to get right to what they want while giving them what no one else can."
Sprint Radio and the Sprint Music Store are available on select Sprint handsets. For more information about specific phone features and Sprint's music offerings, visit www.sprint.com.
About Sprint Music
Sprint continually provides wireless data services that are first, better and unique, and Sprint's music offerings are a distinct example of this leadership. Sprint was the first U.S. mobile carrier to provide:
- a service that allows full-length songs to be downloaded over the air via the Sprint Music Store
- live TV and exclusive video and audio of a full-length rock concert (Bon Jovi)
- streaming music and continues to provide exclusive streaming music channels, including SIRIUS Music and Rhapsody Radio
- video ringers, which play clips from music videos instead of a traditional ring
- ringers that sound like actual song recordings via Music Tones and to allow customers to create their own original ringers via ToneMaker DJ
- gold and platinum awards when artists' albums sell 500,000 and one million Music Tones respective
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of communications services bringing mobility to consumer, business and government customers. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks offering industry leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.