Sprint (NYSE: S) plans to upgrade several of its current Windows Mobile smartphones later this year to support Windows Mobile 6.1 announced today by Microsoft. Windows Mobile 6.1, an update release, will bring customers core platform enhancements in the areas of user-focused experience, messaging and productivity.
In the summer of 2008, Sprint will offer software upgrades for all existing Sprint Windows Mobile 6 smartphones including:
- Samsung ACETM – The Samsung ACE is the sleekest world phone in the Sprint portfolio with a full QWERTY keyboard, vibrant color screen, and ability to use Phone As Modem service.
- Moto Q™9c by Motorola – The MOTO Q9c has a slim form factor with a QWERTY keyboard, extended battery, and supports Sprint Navigation for turn-by-turn directions.
- Touch by HTC™ – The Touch by HTC is a full touch screen wireless phone with advanced entertainment features. It is the first device to feature TouchFLO™ and features a new HTC-designed homescreen.
- Mogul™ by HTC – The Mogul by HTC is the industry’s first EV-DO Rev A-capable handset, enabling users to send and receive large amounts of data at broadband speeds (comparable to basic DSL) and supports Sprint Music Store.
- In addition, all of Sprint’s new Windows Mobile smartphones launching in the second half of 2008 will offer Windows Mobile 6.1 software including a new Palm Treo launching later this year. Additional details will be announced upon commercial availability.
Windows Mobile 6.1 will bring new time-saving features, easier phone navigation and management, and stronger security safeguards. To further enhance the user experience, this update allows device makers to change some of the look and feel of the interface to create more customization. As part of the 6.1 upgrade handsets will also support enterprise-class device security management through Microsoft’s System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 server.
April 1-3, 2008
CTIA Wireless 2008 – Las Vegas Convention Center Microsoft Booth # 1515
A full line up of Sprint Windows Mobile handsets are being showcased, including the Motorola Q9c which will show a beta version of the 6.1 platform.
CONTACT: For Sprint media inquiries please contact:
Amy Schiska-Lombard 913-794-2947 email@example.com
Sprint CTIA Online Press Kit – www.sprint.com/presskits
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks serving approximately 54 million customers at the end of 2007; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.