Newly available software update enables Windows Mobile 6.1 and more
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 21, 2008--Today Sprint (NYSE:S) announced key enhancements, including support for EV-DO Rev. A data speeds, as part of a software upgrade available for the Touch(TM) by HTC. The Mogul(TM) by HTC software upgrade will now support Windows Mobile 6.1.
Introduced in October 2007, the Touch combines the familiarity of Windows Mobile with advanced multimedia features for accessing business and personal essentials. The new software, along with downloading instructions, is available at www.america.htc.com/touchupdate. It enables:
- EV-DO Rev. A - wherever EV-DO Rev. A coverage is available, average download speeds will increase from 400-700 kbps to 600 kbps-1.4 mbps and average upload speeds will increase from 50-70 kbps to 350-500 kbps. These increased data speeds provide customers the instant gratification of the ability to quickly download large e-mail files on their phone while in a taxicab, finish and send a sales report before their plane takes off, and wirelessly download music to listen to directly from a Sprint handset.
- Enhanced GPS Capabilities - provides advanced GPS functionality allowing support of popular applications such as Sprint Navigation. Sprint Navigation provides audio and visual turn-by-turn directions, more than 10 million local listings, and one-click traffic rerouting, similar to an in-vehicle GPS system.
- Opera Browser - Opera brings full Internet content and images to mobile phones and offers several new features for functionality, security, usability, customization, searching, saving, taking shortcuts and accessing Web content. Whether users are going to work, working from home, developing Web sites, or just looking for a quick, solid browser that can help users access the Internet, Opera delivers a superior Web experience for every aspect of your online life, with lots of tech tools for power users.
- Onscreen 40-key QWERTY Keyboard - A new virtual QWERTY keyboard gives customers another option for easily responding to emails, text messages and inputting other information.
Introduced in June 2007, the Mogul is a premium Windows Mobile device and was the first EVDO Rev. A-capable handset. The new software, along with downloading instructions, is available at www.america.htc.com/mogulupdate. It enables:
The updates on both the Touch and the Mogul include:
- Windows Mobile 6.1 - brings new time-saving features, easier phone navigation and management, and stronger security safeguards. Users can get their phone set up and running easier than ever before and with mobile versions of the familiar Windows desktop applications such as Microsoft Office and Live Search, they’ll have information they need, anytime, anywhere. Threaded text messaging enhances the messaging experience.
"Sprint is committed to matching customer needs with the technology that gives them the freedom to access and download the content they want and have a PC-like experience," said Michael Hahn, vice president of customer equipment for Sprint. "Whether it’s simplicity in setting up the handset, getting turn-by-turn driving directions, sending emails with large attachments or having a better Web experience, the Touch(TM) and the Mogul(TM) by HTC deliver all of that so customers can have what they want in an instant, from virtually anywhere."
The enhanced capabilities of the Touch and the Mogul, combined with Sprint’s $99.99 Simply Everything pricing plan, deliver undeniable value to Sprint customers. The $99.99 Simply Everything plan offers customers unlimited voice and data and is available for any Sprint or Nextel handset. For families / group plan, "Simply Everything" includes an incremental $5 discount per line, up to five lines. Pricing complexity and concerns about overage charges are virtually eliminated, letting customers think more about how they can use their wireless device for work and play, and less about their bill. Existing Sprint customers can switch to the "Simply Everything" plan without extending their current contracts. New line activations require a two-year agreement.
The Touch and the Mogul continue to be premium multimedia handsets in the Sprint portfolio, integrating the familiar Windows Mobile experience with TouchFLO(TM) technology on the Touch, a QWERTY keyboard on the Mogul, an easy-to-use interface and exclusive Sprint content like Sprint Music Store and Sprint TV. The Touch(TM) and the Mogul(TM) by HTC are available in Sprint stores, online at www.sprint.com and in Sprint business sales channels for $99.99 for the Touch and $299.99 for the Mogul, with a two-year service agreement and a $100 mail-in-rebate.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two wireless networks serving nearly 53 million customers at the end of the first quarter 2008; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.
CONTACT: Sprint Ashley Hahn, 913-794-1065 Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE: Sprint Nextel