Sprint Leads the Technology Industry with Its “Environmental Impact Score” and Ranks Second with Its “Green Policies and Performance”
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), October 18, 2010 - Sprint Nextel [NYSE:S] today announced that it ranked No. 6 in Newsweek’s second annual green ranking. The ranking recognizes Sprint for using renewable energy sources, such as hydrogen fuel cells, to replace backup generators at its cell towers, offering a portfolio of three environmentally friendly mobile phones, the most of any wireless carrier in the U.S., and being the first U.S.-based wireless provider to announce a target for reducing its absolute greenhouse-gas emissions. Achieving the No. 6 spot in the Newsweek 2010 Green Rankings surpasses Sprint’s 2009 placement at No. 15.
“Sprint is honored to receive this recognition as one of the nation’s 10 greenest companies,” said CEO Dan Hesse. “We have made progress in reducing our environmental footprint and making our business more sustainable.”
As part of Newsweek’s assessment, each company was measured on “environmental impact” and “green policies and performance” accounting for a combined 90 percent of the company’s green score. The remaining 10 percent was based on reputation. Sprint ranked:
- No. 1 in the technology industry and No. 2 overall in "environmental impact" - based on more than 750 metrics of company performance, including greenhouse-gas emissions, water use, and solid-waste disposal; and
- No. 2 in the technology industry and No. 3 overall in "green policies and performance" - a comparative assessment of a company’s environmental policies and initiatives.
Newsweek’s exclusive environmental ranking of the 500 largest publicly traded companies in the United States recognizes companies that lead their industries in terms of environmental performance, policies and reputation. Sprint set and publicly announced aggressive, industry-leading environmental goals in 2008 and is working to achieve those goals. Sprint has:
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 9.6 percent;
- Achieved a wireless reuse and recycling rate of more than 41 percent;
- Introduced an industry-leading portfolio of green devices and accessories; and,
- Made progress toward new, global sustainability standards for mobile devices.
Sprint continues to work with Business for Social Responsibility (BSR) to establish an external advisory panel in 2011. Outside experts will be invited to examine the company’s CSR efforts to date and to help clarify what Sprint is doing well, as well as potential areas for improvement and important sustainability issues on the horizon for the industry. The panel will meet with and advise Sprint executives, including CEO Dan Hesse.
Sprint is focused on continuing to implement programs and initiatives to augment the sustainability of its business operations. From examining how Sprint can better address its water consumption; expand its green product line; establish a sustainable supply chain; and formalize policies to guide and bolster these practices – Sprint continues to examine opportunities for improvement.
ABOUT SPRINT NEXTEL
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 48.1 million customers at the end of the second quarter of 2010 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, Common Cents Mobile and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. With its customer-focused strategy, you can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
Crystal Davis, 571-288-6806