January 19, 2010
OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Jan 19, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Starting Friday, Jan. 22 Sprint (NYSE: S) will advance 80 percent of the funds of the mobile giving donations from its customers to the relief efforts in the Republic of Haiti, with the remaining 20 percent to be submitted under Sprint’s normal 30 to 90-day settlement cycle.

This advance payout will encompass all of the Haiti disaster relief shortcodes in which Sprint has waived standard text messaging fees, including the American Red Cross International Response Fund.

Additionally, between now and Sunday, Jan. 31, Sprint is waiving all fees and charges for Sprint customers sending text messages to and from Haiti. During times of emergency, it has been shown that sending text messages rather than calling is more reliable form of communications and frees calling lines for critical communication between first responders, other emergency personnel and aid workers. Waived text-messaging fees do not apply to customers roaming on other networks.

"Sprint realizes the need for monetary resources and support for this effort from our customers has been overwhelming," said Ralph Reid, vice president of corporate social responsibility for Sprint. "We want to ensure customer contributions are put to immediate use and Sprint is transferring these funds to bring relief to the people affected by the earthquake in Haiti as quickly as possible."

Since Jan. 12, Sprint customers have contributed more than $3.1 million in mobile-giving donations to Haiti relief efforts and 100 percent of all the money donated through texting is given to the respective non-profit organizations.

The Sprint Foundation is also matching any American Red Cross earthquake-relief donations made by Sprint employees from Wednesday, Jan. 13, through Sunday, Jan. 31. The Sprint Foundation will match employee contributions up to a total matched amount of $50,000.

To date, Sprint employees have contributed more than $24,000 with donations continuing through the end of the month, bringing Sprint and its employees’ total philanthropic contribution to $98,000. Sprint’s giving includes the Sprint Foundation grant of $50,000, more than $24,000 in employee donations and an additional $24,000 in matching Sprint Foundation donations.


Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two wireless networks serving more than 48 million customers at the end of the third quarter of 2009 and the first and only 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The company’s customer-focused strategy has led to improved first call resolution and customer care satisfaction scores. For more information, visit http://www.sprint.com.

SOURCE: Sprint

Media Contacts:
Crystal Davis, 571-288-6806
John Adams, 913-315-3903