Sprint is First Wireless Carrier to Offer Live Full-Length NFL Game Telecasts
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 30, 2008--Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that it will become the first wireless carrier to offer live NFL game telecasts starting Nov. 6 when NFL Network televises the first game its eight-game schedule. Sprint will be the only wireless carrier to offer the NFL Network game telecasts via its exclusive NFL Mobile Live application and on Sprint TV, free of charge to Sprint data subscribers.
The first televised game features the Cleveland Browns hosting the Denver Broncos on NFL Network’s Thursday Night Football broadcast. NFL Network’s six subsequent Thursday night telecasts will be available to Sprint subscribers as well as the final NFL Network game on Saturday, Dec. 20.
"Sprint and the NFL are making sports broadcasting history on Nov. 6," said John Garcia, President of Sprint’s CDMA business unit. "This is the reality of the third screen coming to life. What makes NFL Mobile Live so compelling is our ability to deliver live content via the Now Network for fans to access as they live their lives, on their terms."
NFL Mobile Live, only from Sprint, has been in high demand since launching on the Now Network on Sept. 4. When NFL Mobile Live launched at the start of the NFL season, fans made it the most-downloaded application for a weekend in the company’s history, and it set the company’s single-day record for downloads on Sept. 7 - the first Sunday of the NFL campaign.
In addition to the eight live NFL Network game telecasts, NFL Mobile Live offers the following:
- Live radio broadcasts of every NFL regular-season game, including the home and road teams’ broadcasts, new for 2008
- A live, round-the-clock feed of NFL Network programming, including NFL Total Access, the new NFL GameDay Morning pregame show, NFL GameDay Final featuring 90 minutes of highlights and analysis, and NFL Playbook
- Game Center, featuring real-time scores and statistics
- Real-time customizable text alerts when favorite players score or when a favorite team scores or enters the Red Zone
- NFL.com Fantasy Companion, enabling users to manage their NFL.com fantasy team from the phone, along with insight and analysis for NFL.com experts
- Breaking news, season standings, statistics and schedules
- NFL Network video on-demand, including "Can’t Miss Plays," game previews, highlights and analysis
The eight NFL Network broadcasts that will be available to Sprint subscribers are:
- Nov. 6, Denver at Cleveland
- Nov. 13, New York Jets at New England
- Nov. 20, Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
- Nov. 27, Arizona at Philadelphia
- Dec. 4, Oakland at San Diego
- Dec. 11, New Orleans at Chicago
- Dec. 18, Indianapolis at Jacksonville
- Dec. 20, Baltimore at Dallas
Additionally, Sprint will be the halftime sponsor of the NFL Network game broadcasts. Sprint will receive promos airing during the first half of each game, on-set branding during the halftime show along with commercials, and promos to air throughout the week leading up to the game.
NFL Mobile Live is included at no additional charge to customers with a Data Pack, which start at $15 per month. It is also included in Sprint’s Everything plans with data starting at $69.99, including Simply Everything(SM), which combines unlimited voice, messaging and extensive data services - such as NFL Mobile Live - for just $99.99 per month (taxes & surcharges excluded). NFL Mobile Live is available on most Sprint handsets.
Fans can find information on how to access NFL Mobile Live and a get a complete list of NFL Mobile Live compatible devices at www.sprint.com/nfl. Additionally, fans who need help setting up NFL Mobile Live, or those with additional questions, can visit their local Sprint Store to get a one-on-one tutorial from a trained associate with Sprint’s Ready Now retail program.
ABOUT SPRINT NEXTEL
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two wireless networks serving nearly 52 million customers at the end of the second quarter 2008; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.
CONTACT: Sprint Dave Mellin, 720-840-4788 email@example.com or NFL Dan Masonson, 212-450-2081 firstname.lastname@example.org