Wireless services from Sprint get fans into the game-day action
Customers enjoy high-performing networks, including America’s most dependable 3G network
"We’re looking forward to our own game-day performance," said Richard Blanc, regional vice president of network for Sprint. "Super Bowl preparations are a major undertaking and our networks are ready. We’ve enhanced coverage in the downtown area, around Raymond James Stadium, at the Super Bowl Media Center located at the Tampa Convention Center, at hotels and other area landmarks, and we’ll be closely monitoring our networks to ensure customers have the best possible experience."
More than 70,000 fans are expected to attend Super Bowl XLIII at Raymond
James Stadium, home of the
Sprint has fortified its wireless and wireline networks to accommodate the expected increase in voice and data traffic. Network enhancements include:
- 18 new cell sites in the
Tampaarea to enhance coverage in and around the stadium.
- Distributed Antenna System (DAS) in the stadium to enhance Sprint’s wireless coverage and capacity and to enhance 3G data coverage and capacity for high-speed mobile broadband use.
- In-building coverage enhancements at area hotels.
- Three Cell Sites on Wheels (COWs) deployed near the stadium for additional coverage.
- One COW deployed in downtown
Tampa, enhancing coverage for area events.
- Optimized and extended the NFL’s existing nationwide Sprint Global MPLS
enterprise network into
Tampafor the Super Bowl.
- Implemented Sprint Dedicated Internet service to support the secure access and critical communication needs of the teams as they prepare for this event.
"Network dependability is critical and Sprint is instrumental to the
success of Super Bowl XLIII," said
Since 2006, Sprint has invested more than
In addition to operating two high-performing wireless networks, Sprint
operates America’s most dependable 3G network*, providing customers
access to the mobile Web, NFL Mobile Live, e-mail and various social
networking sites - wirelessly and on the go. Gizmodo, a well-respected
technology blog with more than 80 million page views a month in traffic,
recently announced that consistent testing of Sprint’s 3G network in
eight cities selected by the blog showed Sprint unequivocally beating
Current and prospective customers can view coverage maps using the Sprint Coverage Tool, which is available at www.sprint.com/coverage and at self-service, touch-screen kiosks at many Sprint retail stores.
- Press release dated
- Press release dated
Oct. 30, 2008: "Sprint to Rejuvenate Nextel National Network"
* Dependability based on independent, third-party drive tests for 3G
data connection success, session reliability and signal strength for the
top 50 most populous markets, June to