OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), May 02, 2012 - Whether she’s celebrating her first Mother’s Day, her kids have moved out of the house, or she’s environmentally conscious or loves taking photographs of her kids, mom is going to love the smartphone and app recommendations offered this Mother’s Day (May 13) by Sprint (NYSE:S), the only national wireless carrier offering truly unlimited data for all phones while on the Sprint Network1.
"Sprint’s diverse device portfolio offers something to fit every mom’s lifestyle – from the tech-savvy to the eco-friendly mom, there is a device and apps to match her personality and keep her busy lifestyle organized," said David Owens, vice president-Product Development, Sprint. “With our affordable rate plans, moms don’t have to worry about data plan overages. They can make the most of their time checking emails, scheduling appointments and browsing the Web, all at a price that makes sense for their family."
New Moms and Pregnant Moms-to-be
Moms with newborn babies are often sleep deprived and overwhelmed, so download apps onto her new phone that will help her do everything from record when her baby eats and sleeps to help lull her baby to sleep with soothing lullabies. Women expecting their first child or adding an addition to the family can benefit from apps that will help them choose a name and keep track of their pregnancy.
- ZTE Fury™ offers something for every mom and is packed full of features for an exceptional value. ZTE Fury is a full-featured Android device with a 3.5-inch capacitive display, 5MP camera with LED flash, 3G mobile hotspot capabilities and comes preloaded with Sprint ID, a unique feature that enables mom to have a fully personalized experience with a few simple clicks. ZTE Fury is ideal for families who want the convenience and connectedness of a smartphone at an accessible price point. It is available through all Sprint sales channels including Sprint 1-800-SPRINT1 and www.sprint.com for just $19.99 with a new two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate via reward card2.
- 50,000 Baby Names Free: Mom can find the perfect name for her son or daughter and view names’ meanings, origin, popularity and more. Free in Google Play™ for Android devices.
- BabyBump Pregnancy Free: A comprehensive pregnancy app that keeps soon-to-be parents informed about their pregnancy progress and enables sharing the experience with family and friends. Includes a pregnancy countdown, daily information about the baby and pregnancy tips, journal and weight tracking. Free in Google Play for Android devices.
- Baby ESP: Mom can keep track of when her baby eats, sleeps or has a dirty diaper. $4.99 in Google Play for Android devices. Free 7-day trial version.
- Sleepy Baby: This app turns mom’s Android phone into a mobile noise maker. She can choose to play lullabies, white noise or nature sounds to soothe her baby to sleep. The app lets her select how long she wants the music/sounds to play and will loop until that time has finished. When she starts the music/sounds, her phone will start a looping animation and will light up a dark room. Free in Google Play for Android devices.
Environmentally Conscious Moms
Mom surely wants to make the planet better for her children – and by choosing an eco-friendly device and green apps, she can do just that. With a No. 3 ranking on Newsweek’s list of the 500 Greenest Companies in the United States, Sprint offers a wide array of green devices. Mom can express her passion for the environment with eco-friendly devices and apps such as these:
- LG Optimus Elite™ keeps mom stylish with eco-friendly attributes, including a casing made of 50 percent recycled plastics and fully recyclable packaging. As the successor to the popular LG Optimus S™, this affordable and highly customizable full-featured smartphone keeps mom organized with Android 2.3, Gingerbread, a 3.5-inch capacitive touchscreen, 800MHz processor, 5MP rear-facing camera and camcorder with flash, virtual QWERTY keyboard and mobile hotspot capability supporting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices. LG Optimus Elite is available in Titan Silver and White exclusively through 1-800-SPRINT1 and www.sprint.com for just $29.99 with a new two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate via reward card2 (excludes taxes and surcharges).
- LG Viper™ 4G LTE, Sprint’s first 4G LTE device to feature eco-friendly attributes, is the perfect device for the super mom. With eco-friendly features like a charger that exceeds the EC Code of Conduct on energy efficiency when it comes to no-load consumption and fully recyclable packaging, LG Viper 4G LTE lets mom rest easy and know she’s doing her part for the environment. Balancing work and family is a tough task, and LG Viper 4G LTE is the perfect fit to keep a busy mom’s lifestyle organized. LG Viper customers can currently download the “Life’s Good Fairytales” app for FREE. The Life’s Good Fairytale app is a customizable storyboard that allows parents and children to bond over the creation and sharing of unique fairytales via their LG Viper 4G LTE smartphone. LG Viper is available now in all Sprint retail channels, including 1-800-SPRINT1 and www.sprint.com, for just $99.99 with a new two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate via reward card2 (excludes taxes).
- Light Bulb Finder gives mom energy-efficient light bulb recommendations that fit her household and budget. A typical household can save more than $110 in energy bills by replacing the most frequently used bulbs with those that are energy-efficient. This app will detail financial and environmental impact based on the bulb purchased. Bulbs can also be purchased through the app or at local stores. Free in Google Play for Android devices.
- Seasonal Harvest lets mom search by state or use GPS (unlimited for smartphones with a Sprint Everything Data or Simply Everything plan) to locate local farmers markets, outline which produce is in season and search for recipes. Free in Google Play for Android devices.
Photography Loving Moms
Mom can put away her digital camera and lighten her purse while easily capturing her baby’s first smile, son’s first goal or daughter’s ballet recital with her new smartphone’s built-in camera. With free photography apps she can easily edit those photos or add special effects and share special moments instantly with friends and family, right from her phone.
- Galaxy Nexus is great for the tech-savvy mom – it’s built on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich with 4G LTE capability. Galaxy Nexus has a full-featured 5MP camera with zero shutter lag so snapping several photos is quicker than the blink of an eye, ensuring mom doesn’t miss a moment of her energetic little ones. Mom has enough baggage to carry and Galaxy Nexus helps alleviate her burden with Google Wallet™. Google Wallet turns the smartphone into a wallet using Near Field Communication (NFC) to make safe purchases at more than 100,000 participating retailers. Galaxy Nexus is available in all Sprint retail channels, including 1-800-SPRINT1 and www.sprint.com, for $199.99 (excluding taxes) with a new line of service or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement.
- Instagram: Allows mom to give her photos a vintage feel by applying a number of filters, making them appear as though taken by an old-school Instant Polaroid camera or Lomography lens. She can then share her filtered photos via Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram and other sharing sites. Free in Google Play.
- FxCamera: Lets mom apply a variety of fun, cool effects to her photographs. Effects include ToyCam, Polandroid, Fisheye, SymmetriCam and Warhol. It also has a color filter to make photos mono (black and white), sepia tone or with a negative effect. Free in Google Play.
- Paper Camera: Mom can use the cartoon and painting effects in this app to take truly unique photos of her kids. $1.99 in Google Play.
Mom can enjoy an unlimited data experience with Sprint Everything® Data plans. Sprint’s Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM includes unlimited Web, texting and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint Network, starting at just $79.99 per month for smartphones – a savings of $40 per month vs. Verizon’s comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and 2GB Web, or $10 per month savings vs. Verizon’s 450-minute plan with unlimited text and 2GB Web.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 56 million customers at the end of the first quarter of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in its 2011 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
1Everything Data Plan with no data overages or throttling
2The American Express Prepaid Reward Card (“Card”) provided in connection with this Rebate offer is a prepaid Card that is usable at U.S. merchants that accept American Express Card. Some limitations apply. The Card is not redeemable for cash (except where required by law) and does not provide ATM access. Use of Card constitutes acknowledgement that it is given as a reward and no consideration, value, or money has been paid by the holder to American Express in exchange for this Card. USE OF CARD IS SUBJECT TO THE CARDHOLDER AGREEMENT. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, A $3.00 MONTHLY FEE WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST CARD BALANCE, STARTING SIX MONTHS AFTER CARD ISSUANCE, UNLESS FUNDS ARE EARLIER DEPLETED. For BALANCE, customer service and Cardholder Agreement, visit americanexpress.com/sprint or call 866-608-3756. Card issued by American Express Prepaid Card Management Corporation.